Factors to Consider
Factors that determine a recreational vehicle's value:
- Overall condition: Water leaks, discoloration, dents, paint chips or other structural imperfections? Regular and effective maintenance? In need of repairs or other service? Do all of the appliances work?
- Mileage: If it is a Motorized unit, does it run as expected for a vehicle of its age and mileage? Is the mileage on the Motorhome above or below the average mileage for a Motorhome of its age?
- Accessories: Consider everything that came with and has been added to the unit - awnings, satellite dishes, solar panels, A/C unit, antennas, special mirrors, etc. - and how valuable those items might be.
Valuable Tools to Help You Determine the Fair Market Value
You may want to compare the diesel pusher, motor home, fifth wheel or travel trailer you plan to sell or buy with similar recreational vehicles for sale. Searching through online advertising for comparable units is one way of doing this. For your convenience, additional sources are in the list below. You can check these sites to compare. Again, keep in mind that the asking figures shown in these ads may be above or below the fair market value.
- Used Vehicles For Sale at PPL - Large selection of consigned RVs for Sale by individual owners.
- www.rvclassified.com - Large selection of used vehicles for sale. Advertises for both individuals and dealers. Can search using a number of criteria.
- www.rvsearch.com - Has a large number of vehicles for Sale. High concentration of Units in the Western part of the USA.
- www.rvtraderonline.com - Has units for sale by dealers and individuals throughout the country.
Please note the following about recreational vehicle guides as compared to automobile guides:
- Book values for automobiles are determined by analyzing a vast amount of actual used car sales data.
- Book values for used RVs are mostly determined by taking a percentage of the original manufacturers suggested retail price and are; therefore, not accurate. If you are not careful, many options will be double counted because they are already included in the original manufacturers suggested retail. PPL does not recommend relying on book values.
Because of the difficulty of using and inaccuracy of the NADA guides for RVs, PPL would prefer that you call to discuss the value of your RV if you have an RV to sell. We will be happy to look up a book value for you at no charge or obligation. However, PPL's appraisal methods have proven to be more accurate in determining the Fair Market Value of an RV. Please call 1-800-755-4775 to discuss the value of the RV you are selling.
Compare with Actual Selling Prices
PPL believes that the best indication of the Fair Market Value are actual selling prices. PPL has sold over 3,096 consigned vehicles in the last two years. Information on those sold are presented in separate tables for each type of vehicle below.
- Diesel Motor Homes
- Class A Gasoline Motor Homes
- Class C (Mini) Motor Homes
- Fifth Wheel Trailers
- Travel Trailer
Whatever method you choose, or if you use them all, remember one thing: the true market value is the price at which your RV sells. Or for buyers, the price that equals the value of the RV to you.
PPL Motor Homes will send you a free booklet "Learn These 9 Lessons...Avoid Common Mistakes in Selling Your RV". Simply sign up for our free e-mail service by clicking on the button to the left.
Sell Your Vehicle Quickly and for a Fair Price
Some Owners may decide that trying to advertise themselves is too much hassle so they take advantage of PPL's Free Appraisal when they list their RVs for sale at one of PPL's RV consignment locations. Check out PPL's No Hassle Consignment Program. You may decide that this is the best way to buy or sell a used diesel pusher, motorhome, 5th wheel or travel trailer.
10777 Southwest Freeway (Highway 59 South)
Houston, Texas 77074
Hours: 8:00am - 5:30pm CST (Monday - Friday)
9:00am - 4:00pm CST (Saturday)
Closed SundayPPL New Braunfels
5270 IH 35 North
New Braunfels, Texas 78130
Hours: 9:00am - 5:00pm CST (Monday - Saturday)
ęPPL Motor Homes
All Rights Reserved, 1997 -